What is a health coach?
A health coach is a supportive mentor who partners with individuals to help guide and motivate lifestyle changes by creating personalized wellness plans to meet their unique needs.
What are some reasons to begin working with a health coach?
1. True health and wellness is about so much more that the food you eat and how you move your body (though these things are important too!). Many people already have ideas about the areas in their life they might like to work on, but health coaches go beyond the “what” (such as wanting to cook more at home) and help explore the “why” (What are the barriers to cooking more at home? Feeling like there’s not enough time? Not feeling confident with cooking skills or trying new foods? Feelings of stress and overwhelm?). Coaches can help you explore and identify these barriers so you can work together to formulate a plan for how to work around them.
2. They are friendly accountability partners who can help you break down big goals into small steps that are specific, measurable, attainable, relevant and timely (SMART)! When someone knows they have someone to report back to, they are more likely to follow through with the goals they’ve committed to (though it’s okay if those goals were not met, as that can lead to more exploration as to why!). Research shows that social support makes people more likely to stick with behavioral changes.
3. They take an individualized approach based on your needs and goals – no one wellness plan is exactly the same!
4. They look at the big picture. Many things contribute to an individual’s health and happiness. In addition to nutrition and lifestyle measures, health coaches consider the way one’s work and home routines, personal relationships, and employment satisfaction, as well as emotional and spiritual health can shape an individual’s sense of well-being.
5. They can help be your navigator. Feel confused about what to eat? Is coffee good for you or not? What about dairy? There is no one global answer for these questions, but a health coach can help you navigate what is right for you.
6. They help you learn how to help yourself. After navigating your way to one of your goals, you’ll learn which methods work best for you so they can be applied toward other efforts. Working with a health coach helps to build your sense of self-efficacy.
If you think this may sound like a good fit for you, please call 734-995-3200 to learn more about working with a Health Coach at Bio Energy Medical Center.